How to fix failed to retrieve directory listing error in FileZilla FTP
When using FileZilla to connect to your FTP if you encounter an error like this:
Status: Resolving address of ftp.website.com
Status: Connecting to 184.108.40.206:21...
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status: Initializing TLS...
Status: Verifying certificate...
Status: TLS connection established.
Status: Server does not support non-ASCII characters.
Status: Retrieving directory listing...
Response: 257 "/" is your current location
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (11,22,33,44,167,111)
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
You can easily fix this error by going into the site manager and adjusting your connection details to use plain FTP. Follow these steps to fix the problem:
- In FileZilla, click on “File” menu and choose “Site Manager”
- Add the site or server you want to connect to if it’s not already in site manager.
- Add hostname
- change encryption to “only use plain FTP”
- Change logon type "Normal"
- Enter username/password.
- Ok/Connect to continue
If the problem still persists, please disable your firewall then try once more! If it still fails, here is what you need to do:
- Open Filezilla, go to Edit -> Settings
- Click on Connection -> FTP: Choose Active
- Click on Connection -> FTP -> Active Mode: Select "Ask your operating system for the external IP address"
- Click on Connection -> FTP -> Passive Mode: Choose Fall Back to Active Mode
- Press OK.
Try connecting to your FTP again!
Was this answer helpful?
This tutorial is going to teach you how to configure your web site in the program LeapFTP. This...
This tutorial is presented to teach you to upload and then manage your files and folders to your...
The purpose of this tutorial is to teach you how to upload files and folders using the program...
FlashFXP is a FTP program, and this tutorial is going to teach you how to configure your web site...
Configuring your web site in WinSCP is the first step to using this FTP program to upload and...