There are couple of important things and true techniques for appraising a domain name, you should look at when trying to evaluate and it include:
- The length of the domain, the shorter the domain is, the more it will cost. Because when domain name is short, it is easy to spell, remember and descriptive or brand able. Your domain should not contain hyphens and numbers and for me it should be with.com extension.
- One, two or three word domain names are much valuable than the others (Now a days, it is impossible to find a three word domain name with.com or.net extension). So, domains with very few words value the most.
- Websites that have been around for a long time in the search engines rank better, and so this increases their value. However, most sites that have been around for a long time aren't for sale, so convincing the owner might take even more money.
- If we collect information from the start (August 6, 1991, first website went online) then most commonly, oldest and popular domain name had 7 or 8 characters and 2 words. Now, approx. 85% domain names having.com extension. Remain percentage having .net, .org, .biz and specific extension related to country names. Three to seven percent contains number or dash with their domain names. So, for me.com extension worth more than others.
- If the domains names that are difficult to spell, have non-alphabetic characters, are extremely long, or difficult to type in are not going to be worth more as compared easy to spell and easy to type domain names. Moreover, if you have already purchased a domain name with the extension or top-level domain (TLD) like.com, .net, .org, etc. can't be changed once you own the domain.
What we can do to improve domain's value?
Domain names were discover to make it easier for people to access websites, so it's important that your domain is easily understandable.
- Does the domain sound good?
- Will people know how to spell it after hearing it?
- Is it easy to remember?
Now, the most important thing is, what we can do to improve the domain value is the same as what you do to improve your website's value right now before you sell the domain. It is compulsory, get more customers visiting your website. The more popular your site is, the more valuable the domain will become.
Wondering how to value domain names?
There are couple of rules about what makes a domain more valuable. Most people who are looking to buy a domain want to buy one that is already successful and most people on the web define success on page views and customers.
To calculate your domain's value, you eventually need to understand who your prospective customer are;
- From which industry they are belonging?
- Is website important for their business?
- How applicable is your domain?